Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Withdrawing from Memory Bank - Azara Feroz Sayed

Some of you must have already read this story about choosing to be Happy and Memory bank....skip the story in italic and read the post from there on
The 92-year-old, petite, well-poised and proud lady, with her hair fashionably coifed and makeup perfectly applied, even though she is legally blind, moved to a nursing home today. Her husband of 70 years recently passed away, making the move necessary.

After many hours of waiting patiently in the lobby of the nursing home, she smiled sweetly when told her room was ready. As she maneuvered her walker to the elevator, I provided a visual description of her tiny room, including the eyelet sheets that had been hung on her window. “I love it,” she stated with the enthusiasm of an eight-year-old having just been presented with a new puppy.

“Mrs. Jones, you haven’t seen the room .... Just wait.”

“That doesn’t have anything to do with it,” she replied. “Happiness is something you decide on ahead of time. Whether I like my room or not doesn’t depend on how the furniture is arranged, it’s how I arrange my mind. I already decided to love it - it’s a decision I make every morning when I wake up. I have a choice; I can spend the day in bed recounting the difficulty I have with the parts of my body that no longer work, or get out of bed and be thankful for the ones that do. Each day is a gift, and as long as my eyes open I’ll focus on the new day and all the happy memories I’ve stored away, just for this time in my life.”

She went on to explain, “Old age is like a bank account, you withdraw from what you’ve put in. So, my advice to you would be to deposit a lot of happiness in the bank account of memories. Thank you for your part in filling my Memory bank. I am still depositing.” And with a smile, she said:
“Remember the five simple rules to be happy”:
1. Free your heart from hatred.
2. Free your mind from worries.
3. Live simply.
4. Give more.
5. Choose to be happy.


The thoughts in this post are from the book "The Lemonade Principle" - a self help book - downloadable in PDF format at http://www.scribd.com/doc/1222/The-Lemonade-Principle.

The book is a quick read of few hours. This book uses the life of Prophet Jacob as a backdrop to present thoughts on Wisdom of Living.

In the book, Jacob is introduced as a Hebrew patriarch. Just to add, In Quran, One Chapter (Titled - Yusuf - Arabic Name of Jacob - Chapter#12) is devoted to the life of Jacob. In short, Prophet Jacob's life is revered by all the three religions Judaism, Christianity and Islam. The "The Lemonade Principle" is a light reading material for few hours - when you are looking for a break from the routine.

Below are some more ideas from the book....that we all have read in the many forward mails - a referesher
EIGHT GIFTS THAT DON’T COST A CENT - by Author Unknown
1. THE GIFT OF LISTENING...But, you must REALLY listen. No interrupting, no daydreaming, no planning your response. Just listen.
2. THE GIFT OF AFFECTION...Be generous with appropriate hugs, kisses, pats on the back and handholds. Let these small actions demonstrate the love you have for family and friends.
3. THE GIFT OF LAUGHTER...Clip cartoons. Share articles and funny stories. Your gift will say, “I love to laugh with you.”
4. THE GIFT OF A WRITTEN NOTE...It can be a simple “Thanks for the help” note or a full sonnet. A brief, handwritten note may be remembered for a lifetime, and may even change a life.
5. THE GIFT OF A COMPLIMENT...A simple and sincere, “You look great in red,” “You did a super job,” or “That was a wonderful meal,” can make someone’s day.
6. THE GIFT OF A FAVOR...Every day, go out of your way to do something kind.
7. THE GIFT OF SOLITUDE...There are times when we want nothing better than to be left alone. Be sensitive to those times and give the gift of solitude to others.
8. THE GIFT OF A CHEERFUL DISPOSITION...The easiest way to feel good is to extend a kind word to someone, really it’s not that hard, to say, “Hello” or “Thank You.”

Life is a test - God will always be there!!

“If you will call your troubles experiences, and remember that every experience develops some latent force within you, you will grow vigorous and happy…” –John Heywood

0 comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites My Zimbio
Top Stories